Sunday 8 January 2012

08/01/2012

Hi and welcome

You join me sitting the night before my first day at South West Trains.
I have decided to keep this blog to give people wanting to be a train driver an idea of what it is like and what to expect should get through the assessments.

First of all to get to the position I am in today I have had to take and pass assessments and also had to be interviewed. I also passed a strict medical before being given a start date.

Rather than go through the whole process again I would rather point out the websites that helped me.

http://www.traindriver.org/
http://www.traindrivertrainee.com/

are just a few, also the good people at

www.railforums.co.uk
and
www.railchat.co.uk

will always answer any questions that you might have.

Anyway, here I am. i have just been through all the paperwork that I have to take tomorrow and I am raring to go. I was a conductor this time yesterday and worked my final shift and tomorrow I change company to start what is my dream vocation.
I hope that you will come back to this site and will go through the journey with me. I am now embarking on a training course that should last between 12 and 14 months. But it should be worth it as it will provide a career for life.
Wish me luck!

4 comments:

  1. Good luck Francis, I'm envious of you!!
    I should have started in October 2010 but had to pull out due to personal problems.
    Been waiting patiently ever since. Hoping for a start date in June time, if the rumours are to be believed!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're till will come. i can say that with faith as I did the same thing. I was offered a job with FCC which I turned down for personal reasons! Is it SWT you are applying for?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Francis, good luck in your chosen career. I worked as platform staff at Bhm New Street for 12 years and enjoyed the job as I'm a lifelong rail enthusiast. Can't say I ever wanted to be a driver, didn't think I'd be up to the job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Malc, thanks very much for your comment. I may have seen you while you were at New Street when I was Senior Conductor at Leicester. Used to go to Brum most days...

    ReplyDelete